Follow me on Twitter

Follow 140miles2glory on Twitter

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday Morning Struggle

It is early Sunday morning, I am up too early and my mind is not mellow, as it should be at this hour on Sunday. There is a conflict in my cranium. Sadly this debate rages weekly my dome. It plagues my pate persistently! To rest or no to rest? That is the question.


It is Sunday and I have worked out 5 straight days, twice on a couple of those days. My friends are mountain biking late this afternoon. What is a boy to do? I need to rest, and I want to mountain bike! It is mid-February and my instincts say to get on the bike whenever possible. My common sense is telling me that I have cross training on Monday and Thursday. I am running a 6 miler on Tuesday and a half-marathon on Friday. I have spinning and racquetball on Wednesday and I will be cramming in several swimming workouts whenever my full-time job permits. Next Saturday I will probably spin in the morning.    So it could be 12 days between rests if I don't rest today!


Rest is very important, I get that! But it makes me very uneasy too. I hesitate to even call it rest, because I get nervous and I am tormented with guilt when I don't workout. There were many years in my life when "rest" was my activity of choice. Laying around, watching TV was my favorite hobby, not anymore. Rest is a tricky thing, it looks an awful lot like sloth. In Dante's Purgatorio, sloth is defined as the failure to utilize one's talents and gifts. I have a little talent when it comes to mountain biking, I have been given the gift of a day when riding is possible. 


Resting on Sunday is fine, and is not the same as sloth, but to me, if my bike is ready to ride, the weather is agreeable, and I have yet to workout, rest and sloth feel identical. Besides, riding a mountain bike is more fun than watching the Daytona 500 on a cold February day! I have not been on my mountain bike for months. It would feel great to bomb down some descents and climb a few tight switchbacks!


As I finish this short blog, a battle still rages in my brain. I have no idea if I will be on my mountain bike this afternoon. My track record says I will, my better judgement will get the final say.

2 comments:

  1. Jason, great internal monologue. Of course, I know what you chose because I've seen the photos. I loved that one you took of Brad in his red jacket against the snow and tree trunks. Teresa also sent me some of John being Mr. Fix-it. He loves that. I worry about you, because one of the results of not resting is injury. That would put a bigger dent in your cranium than concentrated rebuilding. You would probably find it easier to omit training on a work day, no?

    I'm enjoying your blog. P.S. Thanks for biking with John. He was back feeling happy for a few hours instead of worrying and working. And instead of missing me, of course (she said humbly - ha). Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Great to hear from you
    2. I took a rest day on Monday :)
    3. Recovering alcoholics don't have a sip after a week of sobriety, but recovering couch potatoes are supposed to give up workouts at least once a week. Something is askew!

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves, they have the first secret of success.

Norman Vincent Peale

Followers