Follow me on Twitter

Follow 140miles2glory on Twitter

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Forced Rest

If you see me in the near future, try hard to fight your irresistible urges to hug me or kiss me hello. Not because I am anti-social or because I don't like you, but because I am sick and probably contagious. The consensus at my house is that I am suffering from a case of streptococcus. My best guess is that I picked it up on Monday while covering an assignment at the Y in Bucyrus. Fifty children were in a small room eating, playing, and running around.

A day earlier I was struggling to take a day off from my workouts. I knew I should rest but I decided to go for a fun ride on my mountain bike. It meant that I would not have a day off from exercise for twelve days. Well, it turns out I have had four days off in a row, with more in my near future. I wish I wasn't sick, but it is nice to have a "valid" excuse for rest. There is no way I could do much of anything aerobic. There is a certain peace in not having that choice.

I have been laying around, not doing much of anything. Much of my day is dedicated to sleeping. My nights are reserved for watching bad infomercials and reruns of Law and Order. The longer I sleep the more my throat hurts when I wake. I keep the naps short and try not to fight the insomnia in the middle of the night. Last night I woke at 2:30 and watched TV until 5:30 when I dosed off.

I rented a couple of flix online. I made some soup that makes my throat much more tolerable. I have discovered peppermint tea; delicious with honey and lemon! My wonderful wife has been taking care of me. She has pumped me full of a combination narcotic and holistic remedies. She brought me popcorn tofu and salt and vinegar chips from Whole Foods. This morning she even brought all the meds into the bedroom with a mug of hot tea. In return she got grumpy, irritable, sick boy. Sorry Sweetie!

The good news is that it wont be too long before I am back in action, but for now I am going to try and enjoy this forced rest. For all of you that warned me about resting, insert your Itoldyousos here. _______________________. Thank you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves, they have the first secret of success.

Norman Vincent Peale

Followers