Follow me on Twitter

Follow 140miles2glory on Twitter

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Road Expirement

There was an internet rumor I had heard through Facebook.  An account from a friend that claimed he had actually freed his bike from the clutches of his basement trainer on Sunday and rode it outside. The story seemed plausible and contained many of the details necessary to deem it credible. But it just seemed to good to be true. Riding your bike on the outside? Is this really possible? Moving forward, advancing down a street, the way Pierre and Ernest Michaux intended when they invented the modern bicycle in the 1860's? Enjoying fresh air and not breathing in the staleness of my house's dungeon cycling quarters? Pedaling under warm natural light from the Sun and not the nauseating green pulses of illumination from a tube? NOT BLOODY LIKELY!

I am excited to report to all of you that the stories are true! I have even supplied undoctored pictures as proof of our outdoor adventure. The heroes of this story are of course, myself, and friends Steve and Brad. The three of us hatched this crazy scheme of exterior cycling after hearing the Facebook account and deciding to try this for ourselves. We felt like modern day explorers as we boldly mapped out how we would accomplish this unlikely feat.

We met in front of my house. The Sun was shining and both Steve and Brad were running behind schedule. I had the day off of work so I was ready long before our scheduled three o'clock experiment. I had packed extra tubes and inflation devices along with a phone and my wallet. Anything I could think of in case of an emergency. None of us were too confident. Who knew, we could ride off the edge of this planet if it indeed is flat! I think I read that somewhere.

Packing up my phone was a good thing. Brad sent me two texts that I missed because my phone was packed away. The first one read, "Not going to make it. Work!" I think "Work" might have been code for, "This is crazy, it can't be done!" No matter, Brad summoned up the courage to write another text that said. I can leave now." and he did. 

Steve arrived first, I looked up and saw his bike strapped to the roof of his car, similar to the way one would attach it to a cycling trainer. I guess he wasn't mentally ready to free his bike from the clutches of a stationary clamp. We were all a little nervous, and it was showing in subtle ways. Brad showed up a couple minutes later, his bike was hidden from the elements completely in the trunk of his car. None of us appeared ready for such an adventure. I was the brave one who challenged the roads first. My house is on a boulevard and I brazenly did a lap around it, just to test out our theory. After I orbited the grassy boulevard still covered in snow, Steve asked me, "How was it, how were your legs?" I smiled and said it was great, my face glowing with joy and the rays of the Sun above me. "Try it for yourself." I exclaimed. Steve didn't hesitate, he manuvered the center island easily, as Brad continued to get ready.

Brad didn't make a lap around, I could tell he was ready to shove off. He didn't need to "try" this. He wanted to jump in with both feet. He was ready for this, we all were. It was time. The three of us accelerated, free from the bonds of our trainers, with only each other and the supplies we carried. Three frightened cyclist took off on an adventure, none of us were guaranteed a safe return! But we boldly pedaled, advancing forward the way the Pierre and Ernest intended!

To be continued......

2 comments:

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves, they have the first secret of success.

Norman Vincent Peale

Followers