Follow me on Twitter

Follow 140miles2glory on Twitter

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

140.6 Miles

The 2.4 mile swim

Standing in the sand, waiting to run into the opaque waters of Lake Erie, the Sun is yet to peek out from behind the horizon. I know right now that my stomach will be churning. I am fairly sure my goggles may get misty as the emotions of ten months of training culminates into a fraction of the second the starter's gun sounds. I can't wait to dive into that 2.4 mile swim. Last September I had so much fun in the swim that I have no fear for the full distance aqua portion of my first ironman race. I promise you that I will be ready for that swim, I can actually see myself "jumping" the start because I am so mentally ready for that swim.

112 mile bike ride

If I have a strength, it is after T1. The bicycle was my "gateway drug" into the world of triathlons. I have never ridden 112 miles. The most I have ridden was maybe 106 miles when I got lost during a century ride. I really can't comprehend what it will be like to ride that distance during race conditions. Will I stop and stretch the legs? What will my backside feel like after that distance? Will I even be able to run? Will there be time for a potty break? How many miles will I be able to stay in the aero position? So many unanswered questions. My plan is to get in lots of sixty mile training rides and quite a few 75-100 mile rides as well.

26.2 mile run

Wow! It is scary to even type that number. I can count on one hand how many times I have run a half-marathon. I don't need a single digit to count my full marathons. I am sweating this third the most, I imagine most triathletes do just because of where it falls in the race. I have never run that distance, and I have no plans to before race day. I will have used up every drop of adrenaline that was with me at the start of the triathlon when I leave T2. My legs will be weary from my biking efforts. Those reasons will definitely add to my anxiety on race day, but they will also make it that much sweeter if I can make the distance.

2 comments:

  1. If you put in the time and miles you will do it.
    The numbers seem insurmountable but adrenalin and the crowds cheering will help you through.
    Believing you can do it all through the day, helps too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristin

    The crowds and adrenaline are definitely part of the equation!

    ReplyDelete

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves, they have the first secret of success.

Norman Vincent Peale

Followers