Follow me on Twitter

Follow 140miles2glory on Twitter

Sunday, February 13, 2011

No Room in the Spin

It is Saturday morning, 6:00 AM. I roll over and hop out of bed 45 minutes before the alarm on my phone is programmed to interrupt my much deserved slumber. I know what is in store for me. Pain and suffering are 90 minutes away, but I am not afraid! I will be enjoying a soak in the hot tub before being tortured by Mr. Crane, the spin Guru at the Y on Saturday mornings. He is built to ride a bike, lean and mean. He has the stamina of a team of clydesdales and moves with the grace of a soaring bird of prey. His Aussie accent makes the commands he barks out just a little easier to obey. I doubt I would take direction from him as easily without that smooth Australian dialect.

Before he can pound me into submission I will spend some me time in the spa, erasing some of the pains from Friday's six mile run. I soak and soak and soak, and because I forgot to wear a watch, I soak a little more. I power down the jets that provided me with much needed relief. I towel off and walk through deep snow back to the house. "Oh noooo!" It is now 6:45 and I am really going to have to scramble to get there on time. I throw gear in my bag and rush out the door.  It is 7:05 and I have a 10 minute drive. I should make my 7:30 class with ease. I sip my Cytomax Monster Milk Cookies & Cream as I drive. It tastes terrible and I decide to chug the bottle and then never buy it again!

I arrive in plenty of time, I even see the taskmaster who will be torturing me shortly. I remember that I left my other drink in the front seat of the car, a can of peach mango FRS. A much tastier beverage. I turn around and joke with him that I am too tired and I am going back to bed:) After grabbing the drink I swipe my membership card and head up the the studio with the spin bikes. The room is packed, most of the class are good friends of mine and I always look forward to my Saturdays with them.

I look at a couple of my favorite bikes, taken! I start to look at the bikes up front, closer to our cycling supervisor, taken. I start to panic, will I get a bike? NOPE, not this Saturday! Standing room only! $#*%! Pardon my symbols. So I do the next best thing, I run again. I run a 5k, passing the cycling studio where all my friends are being persecuted by our diabolical but appreciated instructor. I ran by them 43 times. But I had fun! They looked like they were too. I finished my 5K and then rode the virtual bikes, I hadn't done that in awhile and it was fun. I finished on the bike and tortured myself on the elliptical for a half an hour. My heart rate was around 150-160bpm for 90 minutes. Mr. Crane would be proud.

I will be setting the alarm for 6AM next Saturday, but my soak will be shorter and my suffering will be with friends. You know what they say, "Misery loves company!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves, they have the first secret of success.

Norman Vincent Peale

Followers