Follow me on Twitter

Follow 140miles2glory on Twitter

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Snow Tired

I am weary of this snow. My buddy wrote a blog recently on how he wants to ride his bike but can't because of all this damn snow! I agree with him for that reason but the snow is spoiling my running as well. I am tired of running in the snow. Running in the snow is not fun, as a matter of fact I get quite annoyed!

I had to put sheet metal screws in the bottom of an old pair of Brooks for extra traction, the screws do help out a lot. The screws keep my footing solid as I run through the ice and snow. So far I have not felt any screws invade the cockpit of my sneakers and they show very little signs of wear other than a bit of rust. To make matters worse, I have to wear plastic grocery bags between my socks and shoes to keep my feet dry. The bags crackle every time my soles make contact with the not-so terra firma.

I miss my fartleks! It is all I can do to stay upright at an easy running pace, there is no way I could pick up my speeds with out sliding off the road and hitting guardrail, or going right of center as I run against traffic! Without the fartleks I just kinda lock in at an aerobic pace and put in base miles. Don't get me wrong, base miles are important but I want to feel like I am progressing, not just sustaining. Recently during an inside running workout I could not believe how much faster my pace was than it is outside. More than 30 seconds faster pace inside than out.

A week ago my training partner Dan and I went out on a day that we shouldn't have. There was just too much snow. Schools were canceled, cars were stuck everywhere, and snow plows were pushing the white stuff into monster piles. We started out but wisely adjusted our normal route for one that was slightly less perilous. We turned a six mile run into a four miler, but when we got back we felt like we had run ten. The snow was thick and deep and gave us quite a good workout.

I am going to have to cut this blog short, it is time to bag up the feet and slip on those Brooks:)

Check out my buddy's blog here

No comments:

Post a Comment

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves, they have the first secret of success.

Norman Vincent Peale

Followers