Follow me on Twitter

Follow 140miles2glory on Twitter

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Half is not Enough!

This morning I was running inside after finishing an especially grueling spinning workout at the Y. I was thinking about how much fun I was having running around that bean-shaped track. It occurred to me how far I have come in the last few years. I should be fairly proud of the advances I have made to my health and conditioning, and to some degree I am proud. Still, there is so much more I want and need to accomplish!

J.J. Molyet finishes half-distance at Rev3.
I wouldn't mind being half a millionaire, half my age, or half my weight when I am ascending some of the climbs in the area. Being half an Ironman is not enough for me. I want the whole enchilada. Unfortunately, eating too many "whole enchiladas" is part of my problem, but I will save that issue for another blog. Preceding some of my biggest accomplishments with the word "half" is getting really old! I want to be full, whole, and complete! "Half,"just doesn't have the uuuumph that someone that desires extremes needs. I want to sit back in my recliner, on my next birthday, and know that I am an Ironman!

In September 2010 I did complete a half-distance ironman race at Rev3 Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. I trained like crazy for the event, I was dedicated to finishing that race. I was terrified in the months leading up to the event. Terrified because of the unknown. Now I have a completed race in my back pocket, a finishers medal hangs proudly in my home. The accomplishment on that special day seems small to me now that I have a full-distance race coming up in eight months. What once seemed like an impossible achievement, now seems like a cute little task performed on a sunny Sunday afternoon. 

I think I will always lean towards the half-distance races in the future, they seem reasonable for someone with a full-time job and in a marriage. But at least once in my life I hope to go all the way, be one of the big boys, and experience the glory only those that go 140.6 miles can experience!



3 comments:

  1. See you at the Finish, Game On!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you on twitter and then linked to your blog. Excited to follow your 140 mile journey. I'm training for my first 70.3 distance in April. Good luck and happy training!

    ReplyDelete

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves, they have the first secret of success.

Norman Vincent Peale

Followers