Follow me on Twitter

Follow 140miles2glory on Twitter

Monday, March 21, 2011

Journey great, destination better!

American author Greg Anderson is quoted as saying.' Focus on the Journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it."

That is fine and I do not disagree, sort of. I do think it is about time someone stood up and took up the mantle for the finish. It seems that the finish's public relations team  has been slacking and needs a swift kick in the butt. I might just be the person for the job.

I workout 10-12 times a week, my current goals are to ride in the Mohican 100K mountain bike race, perform very well in the Muncie Ironman 70.3 mile triathlon in July, and finish the Revolution3 140.6 mile triathlon in September at Cedar Point. I have completed the first two distances, the third is the relentless monster that wakes me up in the middle of the night.

During my weekly workouts I push hard at times and other times I focus on lasting, making my specialty "going the distance." During those times when I am at my breaking point, I think of crossing the next finish line and how amazing it will feel. My blood moves quicker, my breathing gets a little easier, and my mind becomes euphoric. I have to admit that part of the journey IS pretty cool.

Since getting up off the couch and getting in shape, I have taken many journeys, and finished quite a few races. Actually I have finished them all, knock on wood. I have run a half-marathon, raced in mountain bike and road races, and finished two triathlons. All of my training was beneficial and memorable, but the feeling of crossing that finish line was like a drug that you can not get enough of.

Hi, my name is Jason and I am an addict! A finish line addict.

Saying that it is the journey and not the destination is something you tell someone that is still on the journey portion of their quest.  I have never heard someone talk about the journey once they are on the desired side of the finish line. It is crossing the line that transforms couch potatoes into athletes.

I will concede that a finish without the trials and tribulations of training would be hollow and unsatisfying. There must be suffering during the journey to make the destination so sweet. Oh and how sweet it is too. On more than one occasion tears of bliss have dripped from my cheek as I crossed that magical line. I remember everyone like it was yesterday.

Mr Anderson, it is admirable and accurate to write about the virtues of "the Journey." All of my experiences so far lead me to the conclusion that there is also plenty of joy to be found at the finish. Wanna race me there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

People become really quite remarkable when they start thinking that they can do things. When they believe in themselves, they have the first secret of success.

Norman Vincent Peale

Followers